The leaked version of BBM 5.0 was released a few months ago, tons of BB users went straight for it, and after a day or two many hated it, some liked it, one or two loved it. I heard mostly hated comments about it and a lot of “I want my old BBM back.“
Links to downgrade back to the old BBM started emerging on blogs everywhere, people complained of how slow BBM 5.0 made their phones and how all their contacts were lost, and how they had to reboot their phone several times in the day. I took all this into consideration and I abstained myself from upgrading my BBM to 5.0….Until Monday of this week…
So, I heard the official BB release date for BBM 5.0 came out on 8/25/09, but I of course couldn’t wait another day, so I got mine on Monday.
- I searched and searched for the download link for the Curve 8900 (since every BB has their own special link).
- I eventually found one, the link worked at first, moving very slowly, then it failed to finish downloading.
- I tried again, it wouldn’t download, I rebooted my phone, I see my old BBM missing/gone.
- I panicked a bit, then I went at it again to try to download 5.0, this time it went all the way through. Smiles on my face! :-D
- I then rebooted the phone again just in case. I opened BBM 5.0 and it was a whole lot different! It is beautiful!
I think BBM 5.0 looks slightly different on different BB models. I haven’t seen what it looks like on the older models like 8320, 8310, 8330, the Pearl, etc… But on my 8900 and I’m sure on the Bold, Storm and Tour, the colors/graphics, layout, it all looks brilliant! That was of course the first thing I noticed.
How do you scan?!
There’s an option on BBM where you can add a contact and it says you can add by Pin number, scanning their barcode, etc… Once you select scan their barcode your camera turns on (you’ll see the flash light come on) and with the auto focus on your camera the phone will get a clear picture of the barcode on the other person’s phone. It is pretty neat! They should make this scanner work for products too, like the G1. But I think they getting there. :-)
I won’t be providing the leaked version link of BBM 5.0 but if you Google it you shall find it, or you can wait for the official RIM version that should’ve came out by now.
Overall, I LOVE the upgrade, it’s fun and cute! Takes away from the “boringness/seriousness” of being a BB user, and makes it a bit more fun to interact with your BBM contacts.
How about you, do you have BBM 5.0 on your Blackberry? If not, would you get it? Why or why not? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.