BlogWorld and New Media Expo NYC:
KMP Blog Review Series 4 of 5
Amy Porterfield a Social Media Strategy Consultant, talked about why people may not be reading your blog. Below are some notes I took during this BlogWorld Expo NYC session.
Social Media Obsessed:
– quick read
– easy access
– immediately gratifying
– if valuable, walk away smarter
We want what we want and want it now – we want instant gratification
Blogging Pain Points:
– not enough traffic
– lack of interesting and relevant content ideas
– Steal key elements from social media and apply them to your blog.
– some of the elements are stylistic, and content.
Get them, (your readers, audience, community), addicted:
– get readers addicted to your blog, if content is outstanding they can’t stay away.
5 elements that makes social media sticky:
1) Instant Rapport:
Relationship of mutual trust. Captive audience is dead. Must create rapport and no time to do it. 10 seconds to create that instant connection.
Tips for Instant Rapport:
• Create Snap Decisions
• Treat each post like a first impression
• Make those first impression
• Make sure your blog reflects ur brand impeccably
• Website sham, tackle that right now, be proud of your blog.
• Make it about them, and not about you.
• The most important word in the human language is YOU.
• Become a storyteller
• Tell your story as a way to let your readers connect to theirs.
• Tell your story in the blog to build rapport.
(Google This: WhiteHot Truth)
Relate in what people are more interested
• Make it mean something.
• Get clear on who your audience is, and what they want and need.
• It’s all about the content.
• Get laser focused; you cannot be everything.
• Giving them something tangible and easier to digest.
• State the obvious, tangible tools ideas.
• Give it some meat – give them stats, interview someone (experts and get another perspective), tangible information that has purpose.
• Get inspired, step outside of their niche, relate real world examples to situations inside your niche
– eCube = entertain (the story), educate (the meat), empower (The lesson)
– Make your blog addictive, and want it more.
3) Instant Gratification:
Don’t try too hard, stick to one topic – a single train of thought. Stay off the tangent train. If you have multiple ideas, make it into a blog series.
– Download your ideas. (take the time to download all thoughts, ideas, visions running through your brain and “download” them into words.
– Seth Godin’s blog is a good example of info snaps.
- Chris Brogan – organized blog vs non-organized
Have a shareable blog. Give your content wings. People need to be able to share your content.
– 96% of the sharing that happens online is content.
– Facebook Send button.
– People like options, give them options to share your content.
– Build a tribe that will devour everything you post.
– Put down the vacuum. Step outside that group.
– What is it that people want? What do they need? Is my content enticing? Am I creating content sharing opportunities on my blog?
– Promise more – all great blogs tease the reader with a promise of more. with them a why.
Wrong way to end a blog post:
make sure to post a comment below!?
– Give them something they want to relate.
No-Fail Social Media questions:
– Make it fun – what was the last movie you saw? Two thumbs up or a waste of time?
– Let them promote themselves – do you have a fb page? Post your link below to share with the group.
– Get their advice: What’s your best tip for X?
– ask for feedback: what’s your biggest challenge with X?
5) The Promise of More (Call To Action CTAs)
– Get creative.
The 5 Social Media Rules must be magnified for blogging success.
– Don’t overwhelm yourself.
– Sometimes just a small shifts is all it takes.
The minimum effective – the sweet spot. The goal to get the most dramatic result in the minimum amount of time.
Boiling Water – once it’s at that boiling point, no need to boil it more.
– Millimeter Shift – one tiny shift, makes a huge difference.
VIDEO Blogging -
– for longer videos – let them know what’s coming ahead.
Missed the previous BlogWorld NYC posts?! Here they are:
- Dominating Google and Bing with your Blog
- Ways to Monetize Your Blog Besides Banner Ads
- Brands & Blogs: The No BS Guide to Advertising & PR for Bloggers