Why We Get Fat? Has that question ever crossed your mind?! It crossed my mind when I saw this book and it made me want to find out the answer as I read it. You would easily assume that the answer to this question is simply because we eat too much. True, that was my answer as well. But after reading this book I learned about other factors that influence the reason on why we get fat.
Below are some points from the book that might give you a better understanding on why we get fat and what we should be doing about it:
- Food is energy, and we measure energy in the form of calories. So, if we take more calories than we expend, we get fatter. If we take in fewer calories, we get leaner.
- We don’t get fat because we eat too much and move too little, and we can’t solve the problem or prevent it by consciously doing the opposite. This is the original sin.
- We do not get fat because we overeat; we get fat because the carbs in our diet makes us fat.
- “What do I do to remain lean or lose the excess fat I have?” – Stay away from carb-rich foods, the sweeter the food or the easier it is to consume and digest – liquid carbs like beer, fruit juices, and sodas are probably the worst – the more likely it is to make you fat and the more you should avoid it.
Gary Taubes goes into greater detailed reasons and tons of research on why we get fat. He also provides an easy to follow diet for you to try. I have yet to try the diet, but it seems easy to do. The book also includes an afterword with answers to frequently asked questions, such as:
- Does being “thin” ensure optimal “health”?
- Why can two people eat basically the same things, yet one be fat and the other thin?
- How much do exercise and sleep matter in weight management and overall health?
and many more great questions.
Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It came out this week and it is in stores now: Amazon
Please note: A complimentary copy Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes was provided by Random House for review.